History of Ngatpang State
Ngatpang ancient name was “Ngatpard” which is combination of Ngatpang and “Delbard” which means lying across”. It’s because of the fact that hundreds of years ago there was no state of Ngchesar, it was one of the village of Ngatpang , so Ngatpang was the only state in the big island of Babeldaod that was laid across from West to East coast of the island. During this period Ngatpang had many villages which were, Ngimis, Ngeremedangeb, Ngeruchob, Ikerbeluu, Ibobang, Iksid, Ngchelotel, Ngchesar and Ngeburch. Most of the villages were abandoned in the early 1900. When Ngatpang let go of Ngchesar so it became one of the state of Palau, so did most of the village combined, so now only 3 villages are recognized Ngeruchob, Ngimis and Ngerdubech. Ngatpang traditionally was always been close to Airai because of the famous local God called “Medechii Belau” whose mother came from Ngatpang.
Ngatpang was one of the pottery making centers in Palau back in the past but pottery making is now a lost art. Excellent clay for pottery can be found in Ngatpang, the large oil lamps were made in Ngatpang before 1900. In 1908 there were 2 men’s club in Ngatpang called the NgaraOlik and NgaraIus and 2 women’s club called Ngaramengidab and Ngarabouch. Today only NgaraOlik exist as a men’s club and Ngaraius exist as a youth group and Ngaramengidab still women’s club but Ngarabouch doesn’t exist anymore.
In 1914, during the Japanese occupation, a local organized religion was started by three Palauan’s in Ngaraard, called “Modekngei” (to get together). Peleliu was also an important center for Modekngei religion. This semi-secret society still exists today, now mixed with some Christians elements; the center is now in Ibobang, Ngatpang. The Belau Modekngei High School (BMS) the only modekngei high school in Palau located in Ngatpang, teaches traditional way of life including traditional healing and prophecy.